Most cases of fertility that I see are cases in which the couple has had basic testing already. The female's fallopian tubes are open and they are ovulating. The males' sperm has been tested and it is at least found to be adequate.
The majority of the treatment is focused on working with the female, but I do always use herbal formulas and L-carnitine with the male to improve sperm count to the optimal level.
For the female, there are several treatment modalities that we use (acupuncture, herbal therapies, progesterone, diet, thyroid support). But there are really two aspects of treatment that we are considering for each case:
1) Using treatments that have a general effect to improve fertility
2) Using treatments that can correct any imbalance found in the female that may negatively affect fertility.
1) Progesterone Testing - blood test ideally collected on Day 22 of your cycle)
2) Thyroid testing (Full Thyroid Panel: TSH, Free T3, Free T4)
1) Acupuncture for fertility and to correct any other imbalance found from an acupuncture assessment.
2) Topical low dose progesterone cream used during the second half of the menstrual cycle
3) Herbal formulas for hormone balance and fertility
4) Diet - remove processed food and common food allergens